Sunday, May 3, 2009

Music And Art Part 2 - Quartet Pounder

I mentioned in the last "Music And Art" post that I have many friends that are musicians. Beginning in 2006 several of them would get together from time to time for improv sessions. Anyone was welcome and there would often be ten or more experimental musicians involved. Being the wife of one of these musicians I would travel along and, although I enjoyed the music immensely, I found myself a bit bored.

My solution was to bring my laptop along and make the best of the time by working on artwork. Over time this became a standard for the improv nights and I got better at using the music to fuel creativity and immediately interpret the moment visually in Photoshop.

Three of the more Dada influenced musicians developed a smaller, more refined idea for improv music based on the artwork of Francis Bacon. For each session a Bacon piece would be chosen for musical interpretation and I would then create a new piece of artwork for the moment.

We called ourselves "The Quartet Pounder". The name was derived over silly conversations based on the word "bacon".

You can here the music here...

A sampling of the artwork is below and you can see more at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mfortune/sets/72157603791071699/

8.19.06.c
Quartet Pounder 8.19.06c ©2006 All rights reserved.

8.19.06.b
Quartet Pounder 8.19.06b ©2006 All rights reserved.

8.19.06
Quartet Pounder 8.19.06 ©2006 All rights reserved.

8.4.06.b
Quartet Pounder 8.4.06b ©2006 All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment